Middle School Update

Mar 18th 2020

Choose Kindness

The following was originally intended as my item on Assembly this week, but as we have now suspended Assembly, I didn’t have the chance to speak with students as a group. There was no particular event that prompted me to write this, it is simply that our staff regularly take the opportunity to explicitly describe to students the traits that we value within “The St Luke’s Way”. If you take something from this, I’d ask you to share it with your child. It starts with an extract of a poem by Spike Milligan called “Smile”.

Smiling is infectious

You catch it like the flu

When someone smiled at me today

I started smiling too

I walked around the corner

And someone saw me grin

When he smiled I realised

I had passed it on to him

I thought about the smile

And then realised its worth

A single smile like mine

Could travel round the earth

Hopefully you picked up that the poem is about how your attitude, in this case happiness, can be passed on to others, who can pass it on to others, and so on. It is true, and works for both positive and negative emotions. If I arrived at Assembly and got really angry at all the students for some reason, many of them would walk away feeling negative (even if the message wasn’t aimed at them) and there would be a greater chance that they would treat someone else poorly, and those people might treat other people poorly. In effect, it would be easy for me to start an avalanche of negativity. On the other hand, if I came to Assembly and did something fun, or even silly, like sing Dancing Queen by Abba (that’s for you Mr Whitelum), while you might think I am an idiot, you’d walk away feeling happy and have a greater chance of doing something to make others feel happy. 

This works on large scales, like assemblies, but more importantly it works on much smaller scales. The way you or your group of friends react to situations can have huge impacts on the lives of others. If you choose inclusion, kindness and positivity, in even the smallest of interactions, you can make the life of another person better. If you choose to exclude, to be cruel, or even to act with indifference then you may leave a lasting negative impact on the life of another. While this certainly applies to bullying and harassment, I am not really talking about these. I am talking about the hundreds of tiny interactions you have on a weekly basis. Each one is an opportunity to react with kindness, or not. To hold the door open for another, to smile at someone, to say hello when you pass someone you don’t know, to thank your parent when they drop you off, to help a younger student who looks lost, to stand up for something you know is right, the list goes on. What I am encouraging you to do is practice kindness when given an opportunity. 

Because your thoughts become your words, your words become your actions, your actions become your habits, your habits become your character, and your character becomes your destiny.

Let your character be one of kindness.

Chalk Wall Mafia 2020 - Revamp of the Middle School Chalk Wall 

A small group of Middle School students and our new Art teacher, Mrs Amy Fallon, are working on revamping the Middle School chalk wall. This is a process that the Art department, along with invited Middle School students will undergo every three years. This year's design is focused around journeys. It will incorporate some phrases from the first Japanese author to receive the Nobel Prize in Literature, Yasunari Kawabata. Kawabata's short story 'The Grasshopper and the Bell Cricket', uses symbolism to discuss the importance of making friendships throughout life's journeys that are rare and special. The new chalk wall design also features a large round abstract resin work, as a potential destination, leading lines with little creatures journeying along these will draw the viewers into the work. 

The students and our Art teacher, Mrs Amy Fallon will be working on this every 2 weeks which started on  Friday 13 March. Ready for the unveiling at our up and coming Arts Feast.

ChalkWallMafiaPHASE1 13.3 (2)

ChalkWallMafiaPHASE1 13.3 (3)

Year 9 Eco Challenge Camp - Confirmed new dates Monday 10 to Friday 14 August 2020

I would like to confirm the Year 9 Eco Challenge Camp with Total Adventures has been rescheduled to Monday 10 to Friday 14 August 2020 (Term 3, Week 5). The program will remain the same and the acceptances on Parent Lounge will stand as per the original tour. As the camp date approaches, we will send another email asking parents if there are any updates we should be aware of. Please could I ask you to put this new date into your calendars.

Matthew Hughes

Head of Middle School

Share this post: