Principal's Update

Apr 3rd 2020

Dear Parents/Carers and Friends of St Luke’s,

The first Term of this year has been unprecedented. Who would have thought we would be confronted by natural disasters and the pandemic of COVID-19 and sadly it would appear that the economic challenges as a result of these may be with us for some time.

The impact on small businesses and workers throughout Australia has been significant, as have the changes to our daily lives. These challenges have caused much concern within communities throughout our country and the world. 

We don’t know how these challenges will evolve over the year, yet all the staff at St Luke’s have been involved in planning for a broad range of possible scenarios. One of these is the possible closure of the school for a period of time. 

SLAS@home

The School has prepared thoroughly to continue our operations and, should we be required to close, we have the capabilities to continue our educational program virtually. This preparation has included the creation of SLAS@home. I encourage you to click the link for details regarding the online educational program, we will continue to add to this site over the coming week. 

School Fees

I understand the trust that you afford the School in the education of your child, and for this we are forever grateful. I also understand that this choice has a significant bearing on the finances for your family and it is my hope that you will always believe this investment to be worthwhile.

The School works on very prudent finances and budgets in order to keep fees to a minimum and provide security for staff and students alike. In this uncertain time, we have implemented a range of cost-saving initiatives and have placed on hold all non-essential capital projects and expenditure. 

I am conscious that there are a number of families who may be experiencing significant financial distress due to the current circumstances. I ask that if you are in significant financial stress and are concerned about the school fees, please contact my assistant, Michel Jenner, to arrange a suitable time to talk with me. Michel can be reached on michel-jenner@stlukes.qld.edu.au or 4132 7512.

Term 2

St Luke’s, as per the Australian and Queensland Government’s current advice, intends returning for Term 2 on Monday 20 April as normal. If this advice changes, we will confirm the school arrangements with you via email and letter.

In the meantime, I wish to thank you for your support and understanding of the many measures we have taken to assist in the health and wellbeing of all in our community. 

Best wishes for a peaceful and safe Easter break. 

Yours sincerely

Craig Merritt

Principal

Share this post: